Author: mopress

  • Texas Governor Signs Order to Deploy Border Troops

    OFFICE OF THE GOVERNOR

    R i c k P e r r y

    For Immediate Release
    Governor’s Press Office
    June 2, 2006

    Perry Signs MOU to Authorize National Guard Troops on Border

    AUSTIN – Gov. Rick Perry today signed the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) authorizing the deployment of National Guard Troops to the U.S.-Mexico border as part of Operation Jump Start, under which the troops will support federal border security officers. The Governors of Arizona, California and New Mexico have also signed the MOU.

    “The National Guard is already a part of Texas’ border security strategy, Operation Rio Grande, which brings together federal, state and local law enforcement and the National Guard to conduct joint operations to better protect Texans from border-related crime and violence,” Perry said. In February, Perry launched Operation Rio Grande, a comprehensive border security strategy that gives the state a leading role in coordinating intelligence and law enforcement assets within an 80,000 square mile region.

    National Guard troops operating in Texas as part of Operation Jump Start will remain under Perry’s command, although the federal government will cover the cost of the mission. Troop activities may include detection and monitoring, engineering, transportation, logistics, vehicle dismantling, analysis, road building and language support. The temporary deployment is expected to be phased out as new Border Patrol agents are hired.

    Operation Jump Start planners immediately will be dispatched to the border to lay the groundwork for the full deployment of guard troops. About 2,300 Texas guardsmen and airmen are expected to be involved, although troop levels and deployment details are still being finalized.

    “The Texas-Mexico border is becoming an increasingly dangerous and violent place for peace officers and the citizens they protect. We are pleased that we will soon have more resources and personnel to address the border threat,” Perry said. “However, we will continue to urge Congress to meet its long term responsibility, and provide the manpower and resources to secure our border.”

    The Department of Homeland Security announced this week that it has cut homeland security funding for Texas – the state with the longest international border – by 31 percent from last year. Perry said this funding disparity, combined with continued federal inaction “jeopardizes our security and reinforces my belief that Texas must never wait for Washington to act.”

    On Thursday, Perry announced Texas will soon provide additional funding for local law enforcement along the border, seek a long-term financial commitment from the Texas Legislature to support ongoing border security operations, and create a virtual border watch program.

    A copy of the MOU is available at
    http://www.governor.state.tx.us.


    News8 Austin

    Camp Mabry gears up for border deployment
    6/2/2006 1:35 PM
    [Note: actually this story was running Thursday afternoon–gm]

    By: Allie Rasmus

    Plans are being finalized to send Texas National Guard troops to the U.S./Mexico border as part of Operation Jump Start.

    Guard leaders don’t know exactly when they’ll deploy or how many will be needed, but officials at Camp Mabry in Central Austin expect to go sometime this summer to support the U.S. Border Patrol.

    Col. Bill Meehan said a handful of planners from the Texas guard are already at the border.

    There’s no set date on when the mission will start because the state and federal government still have some details to work out. Gov. Rick Perry’s office said a contract between the state and federal government is in final planning stages.

    The federal government is responsible for the funding, but Perry made it clear he doesn’t want to give up control of the guardsmen. So now the state and federal government need to work out a contract on exactly what the National Guard will do at the border. Col. Meehan has a general idea.

    “We expect to be supporting with aircraft for transportation. We expect to be fixing roads, working on equipment,” he said.

    Some immigration groups are worried about keeping a National Guard military presence at the border. But Meehan doesn’t view their presence as militaristic.

    “We are citizen soldiers from the Lone Star State. We’re from here, and we’re going to be doing this mission in our own neighborhoods,” Meehan said.

    It’s not clear how many of the 6,000 National Guardsmen at the border will come from Texas. Texas spans 65 percent of the U.S./Mexico border.

    While questions linger on the number of troops, Texas isn’t waiting to dedicate more money to border patrol. Perry announced a new three-part plan to fill gaps in border security.

    The plan will provide $20 million for law enforcement and also seek a long-term financial commitment from the state legislature to support border security operations.

    Perry also wants to place surveillance video cameras on private ranches along the border in known hot spots for crossings.

    He compared the effort to a neighborhood watch program. He said the Texas Department of Public Safety would have access to the cameras but gave no details on the number of cameras or how far apart they would be placed.

    He estimated the cost at $5 million and said Texas citizens and law enforcement will be able to monitor video footage. It will include night vision and will be posted on the Internet in real time.

    Perry said he’ll allocate $20 million in this two-year budget cycle to continue Operation Rio Grande, an ongoing border security plan. That money will pay for officer overtime and equipment.

    Perry said he’ll ask the Texas Legislature next year to authorize $100 million to continue the operation.

  • Latino JROTC Cadets Resign to Protest Border Militarization

    This news is from L.A., but it’s the nearest protest we could locate:

    Latino Cadets Publicly Resign From JROTC in Protest to U.S. Troops Being Deployed to U.S.-Mexico Border
    The Coordinadora Estudiantil de la Raza (CER), a coalition of middle school, high school, college and university students from over twenty campuses throughout the southland, will hold a press conference at the Edward Roybal Federal Building on Thursday, June 1st, 2006 at 5:30 pm.

    During the press conference the CER, along with allies, internationally known conscientious objector Pablo Paredes, Spokesperson of the Frente Continental Isaura Rivera, UCLA Professor Juan Gomez Quinones, will publicly declare their opposition to the deployment of U.S. military troops at the U.S. Mexico-Border. The CER and allies believe that 3,000 human lives lost at the border since 1994 is already too much blood spilt for a broken immigration policy. Therefore they reject current presidential and legislative proposals for troop deployment and demand an immediate demilitarization of the U.S.-Mexico Border.

    At the press conference Latino cadets will publicly resign from JROTC in protest the militarization of the U.S. Border. The CER is not asking youth to resign or refrain from joining the military, but it seeks to make a clear statement: its members and sympathizers will not be used by the U.S. military to kill their own people at the U.S.-Mexico Border.

    From Indymedia LA

  • Vote for your SBInet Favorite

    Will the big border contract go to Boeing, Ericsson, Lockheed Martin, Northrup Grumman, or Raytheon?

    We’ll kick things off by voting for Ericsson (this company moved into view later than the rest, but it has actual bordercam experience in Europe, offices in Plano, and partnerships with Texas universities). We’ll also place a side bet that the Carlyle Group wins the chain link fence subcontract.

  • With Pipes and Chain Link, Carlyle Enters SBInet Rolls

    What’s more fun to watch than the Carlyle Group? Nobody you say? That’s why we thought you’d be interested to know that on page 111 of the 112 page directory of large business contractors enrolled for work on the SBInet contract (Secure Border Initiative) is a Carlyle Company:

    Wheatland Tube Co. is a leading U.S. manufacturer of
    steel pipe and tubing. Wheatland Tube manufactures high strength galvanized fence framework (ASTM F1083 and ASTM F1043), electrical steel conduit, ASTM A53 schedule 40 and schedule 80 steel pipe sizes 1/2 nominal to 6 5/8 in both black and hot dip galvanized finish, steel fire protection pipe, galvanized mechanical tubing and pipe and electrical fittings. Wheatland operates 6 manufacturing locations in the U.S. and was purchased in March 2006 by The Carlyle Group, Washington, DC.

    Wheatland partners in the SBInet venture will be: The Carlyle Group, Link Consulting LLC (as in chain link), and Seminole Tubular Products Company. See Dale Funk’s April 1 (no foolin’) story about the Carlyle takeover of Seminole and Wheatland.

  • SBInet Bidders

    The Secure Border Initiative Network (SBInet) is the megamammoth contract for border services that was supposed to be bid by May 30. Following are some notes on the bidders: Boeing, Ericsson, Lockheed Martin, Northrup Grumman, and Raytheon. The contract winner is supposed to be announced in September.

    Boeing
    Boeing Integrated Defense Systems of St. Louis will team with DRS Surveillance and Reconnaissance Group, Parsippany, N.J.; Kollsman Inc., Merrimack, N.H.; L-3 Government Services Inc., Salt Lake City; Perot Systems Corp., Plano, Texas, and Unisys Global Public Sector of Reston, Va., Boeing said in a news release. (Wash. Tech. 6/1/06: “Boeing fields SBINet team,” by Alice Lipowicz)

    Partners reported in SBInet business directory (May 31): None (blank box)

    Ericsson
    Ericsson’s team, called America’s Border Security Group, includes Computer Sciences Corp., Fluor Corp., Sycoleman Corp. (a division of L-3 Communications Corp.), MTC Technologies Inc., Camber Corp., AEP Networks Inc., Texas A&M University, and the University of Texas at Austin. (Wash. Tech. 6/02/06: “Ericsson joins race for SBInet” by Alice Lipowicz)

    Partners reported in SBInet business directory (May 31): L3 Communications, SYColeman, Computer Science Corporation (CSC), FLUOR, Modern Technologies Corporation (MTC), AEP Networks, Camber Corporation, University of Texas, Texas A&M University, Sarnoff Corporation

    Lockheed Martin
    Lockheed officials said they are offering a systems engineering discipline and management approach. “Lockheed Martin and its teammates bring a wealth of experience deploying mission critical systems for our nation,” Jay Dragone, vice president, homeland security programs, said in a news release. “Our SBInet solution will provide the [agency] with enhanced and streamlined capabilities to reduce the number of illegal border crossings into the United States.” (Wash. Tech. 5/31/06: “SBI Net bids move forward,” By Alice Lipowicz)

    Partners reported in SBInet business directory (May 31): TBD

    Northrop Grumman
    Northrop Grumman, joining other large defense contractors, has announced the team it put together to bid on the upcoming SBInet, the lucrative DHS border security procurement program. The program could be worth $2 billion. Most of the Northrop Grumman team members are former partners from the DHS’s aborted America’s Shield Initiative (ASI) procurement…..

    Northrop Grumman’s team of integrators includes Fairfax, Virginia-based Anteon International, Fairfax, Virginia-based SRA International, MacLean, Virginia-based BearingPoint, Ebensburg, Pennsylvania-based L. Robert Kimball and Associates, Kansas City, Missouri-based HNTB Corp., San Diego, California-based L-3 Communications Titan Group, and Falls Church, Virginia-based General Dynamics.

    Note that one of the companies on Northrop Grumman’s team — L-3 Communications — had contracted with DHS for border security technology before, but this was not a good experience. L-3 acquired International Microwave and assumed that company’s role in DHS’s Integrated Surveillance Intelligence System, known as ISIS. DHS Inspector General, the Government Accounting Office (GAO), and Congress soon became impatient with the company’s performance, with some critics charging it verged on the fraudulent. After border patrol experts complained that, at tremendous expense and multimillion cost overruns, L-3 installed antiquated, low-quality, Radio Shack-level cameras along the border, and that the cameras were installed on poles which were spaced too far from each other to offer any meaningful coverage (coverage which could not have been provided in any event even if the poles were properly spaced, because of the shoddy equipment), the contract was pulled. DHS then reissued the contract, and L-3 had the unfortunate distinction of having the equipment it had installed and the technology it used explicitly referred to in the new contract language as examples of unacceptable low quality which new bidders should avoid.

    Congress hopes to avoid a repeat of the ASI/ISIS-L-3 experience with SBI.net. The Homeland Security appropriations bill (HR 5441) for fiscal 2007 would allocate $115 million to SBI.net, but would withhold $25 million from the SBInet program until DHS provides a plan “to establish performance metrics to demonstrate how the [Secure Border Initiative] is a more efficient and effective approach than the failed initiatives of the past.” (WNG 5/26/06: by Haney Dan)

    Partners reported in SBInet business directory (May 31): None (blank box)

    Raytheon
    “We’ve done a lot of security-integration systems,” said Raymond T. Wheeler , business development director for Raytheon’s SBInet program, who noted Raytheon has lined up partners such as [Bechtel,] IBM Corp. and BAE Systems for its bid. “We would take technology from the best source. We’d look to our own expertise and the expertise of others.” (Boston Globe 5/30/06: “Raytheon to submit bid for border-security contract,” by Robert Weisman)

    Partners reported in SBInet business directory (May 31): IBM, BAE Systems, Bechtel National Inc.

    Other Resources
    PDF file of SBInet Business Directory (May 31)