CARES Act: Texas Civil Rights Review COVID-19 Justice archive
(a) DEFINITIONS.—In this subtitle:
(1) CORONAVIRUS.—The term ‘‘coronavirus’’ has the meaning given the term in section 506 of the Coronavirus Preparedness and Response Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2020 (Public Law 116–123).
(2) FOREIGN INSTITUTION.—The term ‘‘foreign institution’’ means an institution of higher education located outside the United States that is described in paragraphs (1)(C) and (2) of section 102(a) of the Higher Education Act of 1965 (20 U.S.C. 1002(a)).
H. R. 748—116
(3) INSTITUTION OF HIGHER EDUCATION.—The term ‘‘institution of higher education’’ has the meaning of the term under section 102 of the Higher Education Act of 1965 (20 U.S.C. 1002).
(4) QUALIFYING EMERGENCY.—The term ‘‘qualifying emergency’’ means—
(A) a public health emergency related to the coronavirus declared by the Secretary of Health and Human Services pursuant to section 319 of the Public Health Service Act (42 U.S.C. 247d);
(B) an event related to the coronavirus for which the President declared a major disaster or an emergency under section 401 or 501, respectively, of the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act (42 U.S.C. 5170 and 5191); or
(C) a national emergency related to the coronavirus declared by the President under section 201 of the National Emergencies Act (50 U.S.C. 1601 et seq.).
(5) SECRETARY.—The term ‘‘Secretary’’ means the Secretary of Education.