CARES Act: Texas Civil Rights Review COVID-19 Justice archive
(a) DEFERMENT PERIOD.—
(1) IN GENERAL.—Notwithstanding any provision of title III of the Higher Education Act of 1965 (20 U.S.C. 1051 et
seq.), or any regulation promulgated under such title, the Secretary may grant a deferment, for the duration of a qualifying emergency, to an institution that has received a loan under part D of title III of such Act (20 U.S.C. 1066 et seq.).
(2) TERMS.—During the deferment period granted under this subsection—
(A) the institution shall not be required to pay any periodic installment of principal or interest required under the loan agreement for such loan; and
(B) the Secretary shall make principal and interest payments otherwise due under the loan agreement.
(3) CLOSING.—At the closing of a loan deferred under this subsection, terms shall be set under which the institution shall be required to repay the Secretary for the payments of principal and interest made by the Secretary during the deferment, on a schedule that begins upon repayment to the lender in full on the loan agreement, except in no case shall repayment
H. R. 748—124
be required to begin before the date that is 1 full fiscal year after the date that is the end of the qualifying emergency.
(b) TERMINATION DATE.—
(1) IN GENERAL.—The authority provided under this section to grant a loan deferment under subsection (a) shall terminate on the date on which the qualifying emergency is no longer in effect.
(2) DURATION.—Any provision of a loan agreement or insurance agreement modified by the authority under this section shall remain so modified for the duration of the period covered by the loan agreement or insurance agreement.
(c) REPORT.—Not later than 180 days after the date of enactment of this Act, and every 180 days thereafter during the period beginning on the first day of the qualifying emergency and ending on September 30 of the fiscal year following the end of the qualifying emergency, the Secretary shall submit to the authorizing committees (as defined in section 103 of the Higher Education Act of 1965 (20 U.S.C. 1003)) a report that identifies each institution that received assistance under this section.
(d) FUNDING.—There is hereby appropriated, out of any money in the Treasury not otherwise appropriated, $62,000,000 to carry out this section.